Sunday, May 20, 2007

Shout out to Hostelling International

I leave for Kenya in t-9 hours and am still remembering things I should be bringing with me. Pre-departure jitters...

Hostelling International has given me a $500 travel grant to help with my trip to Malaba, Kenya. Along with 5 other Brown University students representing Students of the World, I will be making a documentary on a micro-finance institution that works with the innovative micro-lending organization Kiva (kiva.org). This documentary will be shown at the Clinton Global Initiative Summit in September in NYC and will help educate our Rhode Island community on the great potential of the microfinance movement. In addition to the documentary, our team will be working as "Kiva Field Journalists," updating the business profiles of borrowers on Kiva's website, allowing lenders to make more informed, personal loans.

The Eastern New England Council offers two travel grants per semester for which any area college student traveling abroad may apply. They are dedicated to promoting educational and intercultural experiences abroad, and I want to thank them for suppporting this project. Any student interested in appying should check out www.usahostels.org.

No comments: